Vitello Tonnato (sauce)
Tuna sauce for Vitelllo Tonnato. Vitello Tonnato is a great appetizer, buffet item, or pot luck item. Especially in the summer. Veal poached and cooled in court bouillon and then sliced very thinly is the base for this lovely dish.
- 200 gr Tuna in olive oil
- 6 small Anchovies or equivalent as paste
- 40 gr Capers
- 3 Eggs hard boiled
- 2 Garlic cloves small
- 20 ml Lemon juice
- 20 ml White Wine Vinegar
- 200 ml Water or less
- 400 gr Mayonnaise or less - see notes
- Blend all ingredients except for mayonnaise until very smooth.
- Don't use all water at once and only use as much as you need
- Fold in mayonnaise and stir until smooth
- Season with salt and pepper
You can use much less - as little as half - of the mayonnaise if you wish to keep it lighter. To achieve the same consistency (you are aiming for a consistency between maple syrup and pancake batter) as you would with more mayonnaise, you can reduce water and/or add another hard boiled egg. Cooking time refers to the sauce only, not the veal.